- China provides USD10 billion loan to other 5 members and member states have vowed to intensify their economic cooperation;
- Its leaders signed an announcement expressing its stance to counter the West:
- It opposes resolving Iranian nuclear issue by force;
- It opposes armed intervention into other countries’ internal affairs and forced regime change, obviously aiming at supporting the Syrian regime; and
- It opposes the development of missile defence by Western countries, saying that international security will be damaged by that; and
- Chinese president Hu Jintao announces that for other member countries, China will train 1,500 specialists in the coming 3 years, and provide 30,000 scholarships and invite 10,000 teachers and students from Confucius Institutes to study in China in the coming decade.
- It adopted in its recent summit meeting its first comprehensive plan to expand the bloc from focusing on security co-operations to being an economic and geopolitical alliance; and
- It has granted observer status to Afghanistan and accepted Turkey as a “dialogue partner”.
- The beginning of a new Cold War: Putin’s Beijing visit (chinadailymail.com)
- China invites Afghanistan to join Shanghai bloc as observer (chinadailymail.com)
- China offers $10 billion loan to SCO members (thehindu.com)