The percentage of Japanese respondents who said they had a negative impression of China increased to 93% from 90% a year earlier, according to a poll by Genron NPO, a Tokyo-based nonprofit group.
In a parallel poll conducted by China Daily, 87% of respondents said they had an unfavourable impression of Japan, a slight improvement from last year’s record high of 93%.
More than half of Japanese respondents who had a negative impression of China thought the country’s actions were incompatible with international rules.
Disputes over the Senkaku or Diaoyu islands, controlled by Japan and claimed by China, and historical issues were prominent reasons for Chinese respondents’ negative feelings towards Japan, though the proportion of people citing those issues fell moderately.
Despite the mutual dislike, people on both sides hoped tensions would ease.
Asked to characterise the current situation, some 80% of Japanese respondents chose either “This is an undesirable situation, and I have concerns” or “The situation is a problem and it needs to be improved.” In China, about 70% of respondents answered in the same way.
China urged cooperation between the two sides to improve relation.
“To maintain a stable and sound relationship between China and Japan serves our mutual interests and that of the international community.
But it needs to be a concerted effort from our two peoples,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a daily briefing.
“In light of the current situation, the Japanese side should reflect upon why such things happened and what actions Japanese leaders can take to redress its mistakes and to help our two peoples enhance their exchanges and understanding.”
This is the 10th annual joint opinion poll by the Japanese and Chinese organisations, with total valid responses of 2,539.
The poll was conducted from July 24 to Aug. 10 in Japan and from July 14 to July 25 in China. Full results and methodology in English are available here.Source – Wall Street Journal – “Japanese People Hate China More Than Ever”
- More than half of Chinese see war with Japan: poll (manilatimes.net)
- Anti-China sentiment in Japan at worst level: survey (english.kyodonews.jp)
- Poll: A Majority Of Chinese Expect War With Japan; 90 Percent Of Japanese … – Huffington Post (huffingtonpost.com)
- Majority of Chinese Expect War With Japan by 2020, Poll Finds (time.com)
- More than half of Chinese see war with Japan – poll (rappler.com)
- China sends warships to escort oil rig to waters claimed by Japan near Senkaku (Diaoyu) Islands (chinadailymail.com)
- Six Chinese surveillance ships reach near islands disputed with Japan (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan to establish military bases near disputed islands in response to China aggression (chinadailymail.com)
- China Takes Offensive by Sending Oil Rig to Disputed Waters near Diaoyu (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China and Japan: The Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands under international law (chinadailymail.com)