The following is a translation from Chinese media:
Major world powers have been making breakthroughs in drone technology day by day, enabling drones to play an increasingly greater role in future wars.
To counter that, China has developed a laser system able to destroy small drones with lasers, within a range of 2 kilometres. It takes only five seconds to hit down a drone after detecting it with 100% certainty.
As drones grow increasingly smaller, and will even be as small as beetles someday, hitting them with air-defence missiles or guns is ineffective and incurs high costs. The laser system is highly effective and incurs little cost.
So far the laser system only has a range of 2 km to hit small drones below the altitude of 500 metres, with a top speed of 50 metres per second. However, according to informed sources, China is developing a more powerful laser with greater range.
It seems that China has such ability as recently it has carried out at least two tests to hit down a satellite with laser weapon.Source: qianzhan.com “Twice PLA uses it to hit down satellite, causing panic among high-ranking US officers” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China claims successful attack on Japanese military satellite; destroyed control chip with “secret weapon” (chinadailymail.com)
- China says it’s massive navy buildup is world’s biggest (chinadailymail.com)
- Tremendous increase in China’s military spending amid territorial rows (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims: Japan has plans to force down Chinese jets; Chinese jets chase away Japanese jets (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media says Chinese ships rammed Vietnamese ship in South China Sea; 121 ships “protecting” oil rig (chinadailymail.com)
- Twice China Hits Satellite with Laser, Causing Panic in US Military (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China unveils anti-terror laser cannon that can shoot drones more than a mile away with ‘100% accuracy’ (dailymail.co.uk)
- China successfully develops drone defence system (worldbulletin.net)
- China successfully develops drone defence system: Xinhua (trust.org)
- China successfully develops drone defence system (pakistantoday.com.pk)