The following is based on a translation of a report in Chinese media:
Singapore’s Lianhe Zaobao reported that according to AFP, President Guelleh of Djibouti, a small eastern African country, said that his country was discussing with China the establishment of a base in Djibouti for maintaining China’s navigation security and overseas interests.
Guelleh welcomed China’s intention to set up a military base in his country.
It shows Chinese progress in having friendly countries willing to allow the establishment of overseas military bases.
Such a base may hurt America’s vital interests in Africa, as it is near an American military base.
The report says that China will not set up a large naval base in a sovereign state abroad, to avoid alarming the US and India.
Other reports say it could be a logistic base for the Chinese navy, but military sources have not confirmed this.
Source: huanqiu.com “Djibouti welcome China’s establishment of a base there that may hurt US vital interests in Africa” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China wants a military base on Maldives in Indian Ocean (chinadailymail.com)
- China to build South China Sea military base in waters claimed by Philippines and Vietnam (chinadailymail.com)
- Confirmed: China is building a military base near Japan (chinadailymail.com)
- China seeks to expand free trade area to South Asia in quest to dominate all Asia (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s plans to control South China Sea; Philippines and Vietnam are just the beginning (chinadailymail.com)
- China negotiating with Djibouti for military base (mareeg.com)
- China Negotiating To Build A Military Base In Djibouti That Will Be Near An American Base (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- China ‘negotiating Horn of Africa military base’ near U.S. Camp Lemonnier (yahoonewsdigest-intl.tumblr.com)
- China declines to confirm or deny Djibouti base plan (channelnewsasia.com)
- China planning to open military base in Djibouti (worldbulletin.net)