The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
A report on Chinese news site mil.huanqiu.com cites Taiwan’s Central News Agency as saying that Vietnamese Defence Minister Phùng Quang Thanh said that Vietnam attached great importance to its cooperation relations with the U.S. and China, and will not take sides in any dispute between the two countries.
The report says that Vietnam will not ally with any large country to confront other large countries.
Vietnam hopes to maintain friendly relations with both China and the U.S.
The statement was made during Thanh’s speech to Vietnamese parliament members.
The report says that the U.S. has always been deepening its relations with Vietnam and other countries in response to China’s increasing influence in the region.
According to the report, the defence minister said that Vietnam had always adhered to its independent foreign policy and promoted the activities to merge into the international community.
Vietnam attached importance to its cooperative relations with various large countries, especially the U.S. and China.
Thanh stressed that Vietnam would not take sides or ally with any large country to confront other large countries.
It would not allow a certain country to set up any military base in its territories or to use Vietnamese territories to hinder or threaten regional security.
However, he also stressed that relevant parties should jointly control the situation at sea, avoid conflicts and safeguard peace and stability.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Taiwan media: Vietnamese Defense Minister attaches importance to ties with both China and the U.S. and will not take side” (summary of the report in Chinese by Chan Kai Yee)
- US warns China that Washington will not remain passive if aggression continues (chinadailymail.com)
- Thailand boosts military ties with China amid U.S. spat (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan considering joint US air patrols to show China they don’t own the South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- U.S. wary of possible China island fortresses in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- US would welcome Japanese air patrols in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- The China Challenge: Island-building – A Military Threat in the South China Sea (freebeacon.com)
- China to host ASEAN defence ministers amid South China Sea tension (channelnewsasia.com)
- Aquino pokes fun at Beijing’s South China Sea claims, praises Japan (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- Should U.S. Patrol Near China’s Artificial Islands in the South China Sea? (econmatters.com)
- China Flexes Its Own Concerns By U.S. Challenge to South Sea Claims (on.aol.com)