TPP passed. That’s another Obama deal likely be reviewed by his soon-to-be successor. And that time is coming soon and certain. Not only are the United States proving their plurality of powers, so is the Pacific. Taiwan’s earthquake was a scary demonstration.
The 4:00am Kaohsiung 6.4 was indeed scary to locals at the many wreckage sites. But it was scarier for older structures, including political and economic.
A strange selection of buildings fell while most were unharmed. Dishonesty is under investigation by no less than four prosecutors. And Taiwan’s spirit is stronger than it ever has been, something Beijing has never stared more clearly in the eye.
Controversial as TPP is, and as likely as it will be altered, it nails a big “No China Allowed” sign on the tree fort. With Taiwan proving its own, investigating bad dealings likely to implicate Mainland cronyism, further weakening the lame duck Nationalists even further… Even Obama’s “never let a good crisis go to waste” policy must be reviewed. Strength in the Pacific is forcing strength on the rim. The conflict is turning the tide.
…Story from on the ground
…Over 100 missing, 18 dead
Source: Pacific Daily Times
- Deadly Taiwan Quake Topples Buildings and Injures Hundreds (nbcnews.com)
- M6.4 earthquake in Taiwan kills 5, topple buildings in Tainan (disaster-report.com)
- Major earthquakes kills at least 14, injures hundreds in Taiwan (pbs.org)
- 11 dead, hundreds rescued as strong quake rattles Taiwan (savannahnow.com)
- Rescue operation as over 100 trapped in collapsed building after Taiwan quake (yahoonewsdigest-intl.tumblr.com)
- Multiple buildings collapse, at least 3 killed in 6.4 quake in Taiwan (themillenniumreport.com)
- Death toll from Taiwan quake hits 34; the hunt for survivors continues (ocregister.com)
- Magnitude-6.4 earthquake strikes southern Taiwan [PHOTOS] (photos.denverpost.com)
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes southern Taiwan (vancouversun.com)
- Taiwan using drones to spy on China (chinadailymail.com)